Facebook defines it as “A piece of code for your website that lets you measure, optimize and build audiences for your ad campaigns.” And it works for both Facebook AND Instagram ad campaigns!
It is essentially something you copy and paste to your site that gives you invaluable data to help you create the best (and most profitable) Facebook AND Instagram ads possible.
Although it is named the Facebook Pixel, most if not all of it’s features work for advertising on Instagram as well!
DO I NEED TO HAVE THE FACEBOOK PIXEL ON MY WEBSITE?
I know your next question is, “But, do I NEED to be using it?”, or “What if I don’t run any Facebook or Instagram Ads”?
The answer: If you could ever see yourself creating a Facebook or Instagram ad, then yes! You should be using your Facebook Pixel! The sooner you put the Facebook Pixel onto your site, the sooner you can collect data about the people onto your site – so when you do create an ad, you’ll have all that data to make your ad work SO much better (more on this later)!
HOW DO I SET UP THE FACEBOOK PIXEL?
It’s pretty easy!
There’s the manual way to install the code:
- Go to https://www.facebook.com/ads/manage/ or business.facebook.com if you have a business manager account.
- Click on the Menu (Hamburger icon) in the top left corner.
- Click on “Pixels” under the Measure and Report section.
- Click on “Set Up”
- In the pop-up window, click “Manually Install the Code Yourself”
- Scroll down to step number 2 and copy the Facebook Pixel Code.
- Paste into your website header in your website settings!
There are many options that do this for you as well depending on what platform you are on!
WordPress: We use a plugin Pixel Caffeine – and we love it!Depending on your theme settings, there is likely a place you can place the code snippet using the manual option above – but you only want to use one option, not both!
Showit: There are a few ways to add the Facebook Pixel to a Showit website, but one of the more straightforward ways is pasting the code into the Custom Head HTML box. See the video below for a tutorial:
Here are directions for a few other popular content management systems:
HOW DO I USE THE FACEBOOK PIXEL?
There are a few SUPER helpful (and pretty simple!) ways to use your pixel data! Here are some of my favorites! You can…
- Use to re-target people who view specific pages of your website
- Find new potential customers that are similar to the people who view your site (or inquire with you)
- And most importantly track the results you are getting with your Facebook Ads!
I break down each of those in the videos below!
TRACKING YOUR RESULTS USING THE FACEBOOK PIXEL
RETARGETING USING THE FACEBOOK PIXEL
CREATING A LOOKALIKE AUDIENCE USING THE FACEBOOK PIXEL
So, even if you aren’t running any Facebook or Instagram ads right now, you can see how important it is to get the Facebook Pixel on your website ASAP so that when you do start a Facebook or Instagram Ad campaign, you’ll have a much better chance of success!